Better give a forwarding address

Did you know that you need to provide a forwarding address to your property manager upon your move-out of the unit? Yes…even though the property manager has 30 days to refund your money, they do NOT have to refund the deposit or account for any deductions until the resident provides his/her forwarding address in writing! If the security deposit remains unclaimed for a significant amount of time – usually three years, depending on certain conditions – the property manager is required to file an unclaimed property report with the state comptroller.

Comments are closed.