Ever wonder what the landlord or apartment community is going to look at when you submit a rental application? Per the Texas Association of Realtors (TAR), the “landlord” is required to make available to the applicant the printed notice of the landlord’s tenant-selection criteria and the grounds for which the application may be denied. TAR has a model tenant-selection criteria form.
Apartment managers have their own forms that they use, however, the process should be similar. Here are the items many landlord, property management companies and apartment managers will be checking for:
- Criminal History: Landlord will perform a criminal history check on you to verify the information provided by you on the Lease Application. Landlord’s decision to lease the Property to you may be influenced by the information contained in the report.
- Previous Rental History: Landlord will verify your previous rental history using the information provided by you on the Lease Application. Your failure to provide the requested information, provision of inaccurate information, or information learned upon contacting previous landlords may influence Landlord’s decision to lease the Property to you.
- Current Income: Landlord may ask you to verify your income as stated on your Lease Application. Depending upon the rental amount being asked for the Property, the sufficiency of your income along with the ability to verify the stated income, may influence Landlord’s decision to lease the Property to you.\
- Credit History: Landlord will obtain a Credit Reporting Agency (CRA) report, commonly referred to as a credit report, in order to verify your credit history. Landlord’s decision to lease the Property to you may be based upon information obtained from this report. If your application is denied based upon information obtained from your credit report, you will be notified.
- Failure to Provide Accurate Information in Application: Your failure to provide accurate information in your application or your provision of information that is unverifiable will be considered by Landlord when making the decision to lease the Property to you.
Need help finding that right apartment? Give me a call at: 972-369-3934 or visit my website at: www.thepadhunter.com to start your apartment search